Saturday, September 6, 2008

Loaves and Fishes

by Sarah Albrecht

I love to read the story of the loaves and fishes from the New Testament and to imagine the multitude being taught and then fed by the Savior. I love the often-heard interpretation for our own time, that the Savior is merciful, and if we come, He will feed us bountifully.

At a time when I felt utterly inadequate in almost every aspect of my life, as if whatever I had to offer was not enough, another application flashed into my mind.

It came as I sat bent over a children’s version of the story with my little daughter. When I saw the picture of a plate with a loaf of bread and a few small fishes, I suddenly thought of who had supplied the Savior with the food with which he fed the masses: not a merchant or a fisherman; not a baker or an innkeeper accustomed to feeding groups, but a boy. He probably brought the Savior his own lunch, or maybe he’d been out getting dinner for his family. In any case, it wasn’t much, and certainly not enough to feed everyone.

But here’s the key: he offered what he had, and with the Lord’s help, it was enough. The realization swept through me like a sudden breeze, cleansing the stagnant despair and leaving a brightness of hope and a confidence rooted on the surest foundation.

If I offer all I have, with the Lord’s help, it will be enough.

3 comments:

It's just Barb said...

Thank you for this beautiful post! I so often feel like what I have to offer isn't enough. I needed this reminder, that when I have given my best and it isn't enough that God will do the rest. What we have to offer is enough!

Kari Pike said...

Sarah, I have been meaning to read this post for several days and just couldn't seem to get to it. I think it was because I needed to hear it now, in this time, and this place in my life. Many changes are taking place in my life right now and I have felt very inadequate! Thank you for the reminder that all that is expected of me is to give what I have and leave the rest to my Father in Heaven. No matter what happens, everything is going to be okay!

Tanielle said...

Sarah,

Your words are so beautiful and your insight inspiring. Thank you for sharing this blog with us, it is indeed a Beacon of Light.

Tanielle