Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What Season Are You?

Valerie J. Steimle

This is the beginning of a new year and we are once again faced with goals and aspirations.  Upon pondering what to accomplish in the coming months, I thought about the differences between what I was doing ten years ago and what I am doing now. Ten years ago I still had very small children to take care of, several teenagers to drive around and my oldest leaving the nest.  I was in a different season back then. 

There is much to accomplish in a lifetime but we can’t do it all at once.  During my twenties, after graduating college, I got married and started a family.  Diapers and teething was my season in between keeping my head afloat on the computer scene. 

During my thirties, there were more children added but I also started writing at home at night when everyone was asleep.  I didn’t work much outside the home because of my responsibilities at home but we did find time to have a vegetable garden.  We didn’t go out much and we worked hard keeping our home life running smoothly. I also started homeschooling my oldest children.  I accomplished a lot in my world.

During my forties, I ventured out in part-time work and really concentrated on my writing.  I published four books and wrote hundreds of articles. Children were still at home but they were more independent and I didn’t have to change any more diapers. (Whew) Now in my fifties, I can participate in more outside activities and focus on my hobbies and especially my writing.  It all depended on what season I was in.

Everyone accomplishes what they can by what season they are in during their lifetime.  Most young mothers can’t do many extra curricular activities because of their responsibilities at home, but as we grow older and our children are more independent, we as women, can take an art class, write that novel buzzing around in our head, join the Audubon Society to watch birds, research family history or volunteer at the library. Whatever suits our fancy, we can accomplish in our own season. The same goes with men who start their careers in their twenties and spend many hours making their way to a comfortable living. By the time their fifties roll around there is more time for hobbies and other interests.

Pondering those thoughts, here are the ten keys to a happy life:
1.Compliment three people every day. 2. Be the first to say hello. 3. Don’t rain on other people’s parade. 4. Live beneath your means. 5. Treat everyone the way you want to be treated. 6. Never give up on anyone; miracles do happen. 7. Forget the Jones’ 8. Be tough-minded and tender-hearted. 9. Learn to show cheerfulness even when you don’t have to. 10. Don’t waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them.

Someone once said: “We are spiritual beings having a human experience”. I really believe that so live up to your aspirations and your season for a better year and a happy life. Happy New Year!




No comments: